(a)   Definitions. The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this subsection, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

“Abandoned property” means any residential real estate for which taxes are delinquent for the preceding two years and which has been unoccupied continuously by persons legally in possession for the preceding one year.

“Enforcing officer” means the building inspector or other officer designated by ordinance and charged with the administration of the provisions of this section.

“Last known address” means the address where the property is located, or the address as listed in the tax records.

“Low or moderate income housing” means housing for persons and families with incomes within the income limitations prescribed by the department of housing and urban development pursuant to section 8 of the Federal Housing and Community Development Act of 1937, as amended.

“Organization” means any nonprofit corporation organized under the laws of this state and which has among its purposes the improvement of housing.

“Parties in interest” means any owners of record, judgment creditors, tax purchasers or other parties having any legal or equitable title or interest in the property.

“Rehabilitation” means the process of improving the property including, but not limited to, bringing property into compliance with applicable fire, housing and building codes.

“Structure” means any building, wall or other structure.

(b)   Power of governing body. The governing body has the power to cause the repair or removal of any structure located within the city, which may have become unsafe or dangerous, and further has the authority and power to cause the rehabilitation of any abandoned property located within the city, as provided by K.S.A. 12-1751 et seq. and K.S.A 17-4759.

(c)   Enforcing officer. The city manager, or an enforcement officer designated by the city manager, in writing, shall be the enforcing officer for purposes of K.S.A. 12-1750 et seq. and K.S.A 17-4759.

(d)   Determination of unsafe, dangerous or abandoned property. Structures and abandoned property shall be determined to be unsafe or dangerous or abandoned property as provided by, and in accordance with the terms of K.S.A. 12-1750 et seq. and K.S.A 17-4759, and the procedures for such determination shall be those set forth in K.S.A. 12-1750 et seq. and K.S.A 17-4759.

(Code 1971, § 7-47; Ord. 2015-3102)

It shall be unlawful for any person to place, permit or maintain any barbed wire or other sharp iron points on any railing or post within the city limits.

(Code 1971, § 22-14)

Plywood, plastic, or other materials may be used as temporary coverings of windows or exterior surfaces for a period of not more than 30 consecutive days on structures in the Central Business District of the City of Concordia as defined by the zoning regulations of the City of Concordia. Extensions of this time limit may be granted by the building inspector for completion of ongoing repair, remodeling, or construction. No owner of any such structure shall knowingly cause or permit a violation of this section.

(Ord. No. 2009-2977, § 1, 6-17-09)